WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings. Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The Triangle region’s job market continues to be turbulent, as has been the case throughout the last few months, with concerns about a possible recession persisting throughout the state and the nation.
As written in prior WRAL TechWire Jobs Reports, job openings in the Triangle have dipped in recent weeks. And with rising inflation and new lows in consumer confidence, the Federal Reserve is moving to slow down the economy with a series of interest rate hikes that are likely to have a ripple effect on the Triangle’s labor market.
Still, the market remains hot in some areas, namely technical positions. According to the latest IT Job Trends report from the North Carolina Association of Technology (NC TECH), there were more than 57,000 information technology job openings across North Carolina last month, a 60% jump from May 2021. The statewide total includes over 19,000 openings located in Raleigh and nearly 5,000 in Durham/Chapel Hill.
Yet, the latest index that tracks North Carolina’s future economy dropped in all categories in May, and the author of that report cautions job seekers that openings may begin to slow.
“One clear recommendation is for job seekers,” said Dr. Michael Walden, an economist and the author of the monthly index, in an interview with WRAL TechWire. “Don’t delay taking a job that’s offered. Even without a recession, the economy is likely to slow, so the volume of hiring will also be curtailed.”
But, even beyond technical roles, there’s currently no shortage of job openings in the Triangle overall. On most major job boards, local employers have tens of thousands of positions that remain unfilled.
Today’s WRAL TechWire Jobs Report features Triangle-area employers hiring across several industries, from banking to health care to biotech. Read about the latest job openings below.
Report: Tech workers still in high demand in NC, even as labor market overall expected to slow
Local Positions on National Job Boards
Every week, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites. Here’s a look at the totals as of Sunday afternoon. (Editor’s Note: The month-over-month totals are compared to our May 30 report, and the year-to-date totals compare to our Jan. 3 report.)
- Wake County: 49,349 (⇓-2,885 month-over-month; ⇑+6,798 year-to-date)
- Raleigh: 29,548 (⇓-1,991 MoM; ⇑+5,604 YTD)
- Durham County: 13,375 (⇓+194 MoM; ⇑+3,621 YTD)
- Johnston County: 3,015 (⇓-250 MoM)*
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,347 (⇓-227 MoM; ⇑+2,976 YTD)
- Durham: 18,201 (⇓-165 MoM; ⇑+3,021 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 17,952 (⇓-214 MoM; ⇑+2,963 YTD)
- Glassdoor: 37,966 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (⇓-1,374 MoM; ⇑+3,118 YTD)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 17,104 (⇓-157 MoM; ⇑+696 YTD)
- Durham: 10,176 (⇓-895 MoM; ⇑+129 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 4,691 (⇓-657 MoM; ⇑+803 YTD)
- Johnston County: 858 (⇑+27 MoM)*
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- Raleigh: 29,639 (⇓-1,296 MoM; ⇑+2,774 YTD)
- Durham: 12,863 (⇓-3,361 MoM; ⇓-1,624 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 2,772 (⇓-301 MoM; ⇑+342 YTD)
- Johnston County: 1,597 (⇓-137 MoM)*
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- Raleigh: 43,348 (⇑+2,386 MoM; ⇑+10,126 YTD)
- Durham: 18,269 (⇑+1,165 MoM; ⇑+3,411 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 942 (⇑+44 MoM; ⇓-2,702 YTD)
- Johnston County: 412 (⇑+68 MoM)*
*Note: The year-to-date data for Johnston County is not available. We added Johnston County data to the lineup after January 2022.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (250 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (13,091 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (336 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina). InHerSight also lists jobs at local startups.
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 55 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 33 in Durham and 20 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). Four local jobs were added to the site over the last week.
- Curi is looking to hire a marketing technology manager in Raleigh.
- Thomson Reuters seeks a digital marketing sales executive in Raleigh.
- Verizon posted two positions in Cary: Digital account-based marketing manager and channel marketing manager. (Side note: Verizon told TechWire last week that it’s offering $2,500 sign-on bonuses for new retail sales hires.)
As carrier wars continue, Verizon is hiring locally in Triangle – with sign-on bonus of $2,500
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 183 jobs at 56 companies. Twelve job openings were posted over the last week:
- Durham-based wellness startup Auroraflow is looking to hire a licensed massage therapist (Spanish-speaking/bilingual).
- Healthcare equipment firm Direct Supply seeks a staff software engineer in Durham.
- Private jet company flyExclusive is looking to hire a business intelligence analyst in Durham.
- Energy data software provider Kevala is hiring a remote principal software engineer.
- LearnPlatform, a local edtech startup, is hiring a customer support specialist in Raleigh.
- Durham-based fintech startup LoanWell posted two new positions: Software engineering manager and senior software engineer.
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a data scientist in Raleigh.
- Design and development firm Thoughtbot posted three remote jobs: Technical recruiter, principal Ruby on Rails software developer and people operations coordinator.
- Edtech startup Upswing posted a remote contract position for a content writer.
Bio Jobs Hub
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
From Afghanistan to Sanford, a former State Department exec finds his passion in biotech
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, and Pfizer in Sanford.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 1,642 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America posted five local job openings: Preferred lending credit solutions advisor (Cary), financial center assistant manager (Raleigh), financial center manager (Durham) and registered wealth management client associate (Raleigh).
- Blue Cross NC posted several openings in Durham: Senior Salesforce administrator, senior data integration analyst, actuarial associate, principal integration developer, actuarial analyst, senior communications advisor, senior product owner, appeals analyst, vendor service delivery manager, strategic advisor associate, strategic advisor, clinical risk management analyst, senior product developer, senior category vendor manager, senior strategic advisor, principal business systems analyst, senior account implementation analyst, senior product owner, data governance associate and marketing communications specialist.
- Burt’s Bees seeks a pre-weigh associate in Morrisville.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) posted five positions in Raleigh: Software engineer, streaming anchor/producer/editor, weekend executive news producer, morning senior producer and real estate development associate.
- Citrix is looking to hire a software engineer in Raleigh (or remote).
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a post-funding quality control specialist in Raleigh.
- Fidelity Investments posted several new jobs in Durham last week, including lead/principal cybersecurity software engineer, group squad lead, blockchain product solutions VP, principal software engineer (five openings), senior software developer (six openings), principal AWS software engineer, associate software engineer (two openings), principal IAM software engineer, architecture user experience services director, senior analyst of portfolio position and transaction operations, Level 4 full-stack engineer, senior systems analyst, principal iOS engineer, principal full-stack engineer, technology management squad leader, senior data engineer, principal cybersecurity tester/assessor, VP of software engineering, principal systems engineer, principal user experience designer, cybersecurity analyst, VP of workplace consulting health and welfare, and senior full-stack engineer.
- Forward Cities posted three positions for its E3 Solutions program in Durham: Director of development, senior director and manager (part-time).
- North Carolina Central University posted several positions in Durham: Client services director, facility maintenance technician in building trades (four openings), facility maintenance technician in mechanical trades (seven openings), building environmental tech (two openings), facility maintenance supervisor, building environmental services supervisor, accounting technician, university program specialist, administrative support associate, special assistant to the Chancellor, and finance and analytics officer.
- PNC posted several positions in Raleigh: Teller, commercial real estate sales leader, relationship banker, branch banker (two openings), senior Java software developer, sales leader, business banking Treasury management officer and senior data engineer. Outside of Raleigh, the bank is also hiring a teller in Smithfield, a branch manager in Holly Springs, and three branch bankers in Carrboro and Chapel Hill.
- Research Triangle Park is hiring a social media specialist in Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill.
- Self-Help Credit Union seeks an accounting specialist and a collections specialist in Durham.
- Truist posted several job openings across the Triangle area:
- Apex: Senior relationship banker
- Chapel Hill: Relationship banker
- Fuquay-Varina: Financial services specialist (two openings)
- Garner: On-demand teller (part-time)
- Morrisville: Branch leader
- Raleigh: phone chanel authentication engineer, Python/Perl software engineer, application support engineer, AI software engineer, senior principal infrastructure engineer (two openings), senior Agile product manager, risk data and reporting senior analyst, cybersecurity threat senior analyst, enterprise architect, loan processor, .Net software engineer, associate data governance and risk consultant, relationship banker, software engineer (multiple positions), IAM system administrator, lead infrastructure engineer, teller/senior teller (two openings), senior collaboration technologist, storage automation lead engineer, branch coordinator, client service specialist, Salesforce administrator, strategic client development managing director (five openings), CIAM manager, technical lead, senior mobile API software engineer (multiple positions), enterprise architect, data quality analyst, senior relationship banker, wealth BURM risk consultant, technical lead/software engineer, career program manager (four openings), commercial credit card relationship manager, communications consultant/analyst, technology business office consultant, merchant services client support specialist, senior Agile product analyst, and human capital insights and communications consultant (three openings)
- Smithfield: On-demand teller (part-time)
- William Peace University in Raleigh seeks an assistant men’s basketball coach, an administrative assistant, and an academic and career advisor.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. The organization recently updated the user interface with a fresh design. Job seekers can filter their search results by position title, job function and location. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
The site lists 251 openings as of Sunday afternoon. Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Alcami is looking to hire an associate analytical scientist at its manufacturing center in Morrisville.
- BioAgilytix Labs is hiring a scientist and a principal investigator in Durham.
- Biogen posted an opening for a manufacturing associate/purification subject matter expert in Durham.
- Isolere Bio is looking to hire a process development research technician in Durham.
- Merck & Co. is hiring for several positions in Durham, including associate vaccine manufacturing operations technician (two openings), vaccine manufacturing operations technician (two openings), maintenance/calibration manager, lab automation specialist, automation technician (two openings), lead technician (two openings), weigh and dispense quality assurance specialist, senior operations technician, senior quality assurance specialist (two openings), associate operations technician and supplier quality management specialist (two openings).
- Powered Research seeks an in vivo scientist in Durham.
- Precision BioSciences is hiring an associate IT director in Durham.
- Tavros Therapeutics seeks a research associate in Durham.
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. One local job was posted last week:
- CNP Technologies is looking to hire a solutions architect and engineer in North Carolina.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, industry and job function. The site currently lists 160 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. Nine new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a customer support specialist in Raleigh.
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, posted two positions: Scientific study director/manager and quality control technician.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo is looking to hire a corporate sales manager.
- PublicInput, a community engagement platform for government agencies, posted three openings: Full-stack .NET developer (remote), marketing director (Raleigh or remote) and sales director (remote).
- AI startup Pyron seeks a remote account executive.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, is looking to hire an SMB CRO strategy leader in Raleigh.
Triangle Region Job Board
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 3,248 jobs at 101 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Bank of America (multiple locations)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Morrisville)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Durham and Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Direct Supply (Durham)
- Exit Intelligence (Raleigh)
- Fidelity Investments (Durham)
- flyExclusive (Durham)
- Forward Cities (Durham)
- Leadership Triangle (Raleigh)
- LearnPlatform (Raleigh)
- LoanWell (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Relay (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program launched a job board on its website earlier this year, with 10,236 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,319 are technology jobs, 1,114 are advanced manufacturing positions, 338 are in cleantech and 465 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from June 21):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Bandwidth: 45 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: ~20 jobs in RTP, according to the company’s career page
- Lenovo: 328 jobs in Morrisville
- Microsoft: 203 jobs in Raleigh
- Pendo: 23 openings in Raleigh
- Red Hat: 27 openings in Raleigh; 20 remote openings in North Carolina
- SAS: 155 openings in Cary
Job Openings Submitted by Local Organizations
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Senior care provider Allcare Home Health Agency is hiring caregivers and CNAs across Wake, Durham, Johnston, Chatham and Franklin counties. Click here for the job description and application.
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, is hiring for several positions:
The State of North Carolina currently has 1,227 job openings across the state. Many are technology-specific jobs. The Department of Information Technology, for example, has several IT jobs in the Triangle area. On this page, job seekers can identify IT jobs (and a wide scope of other positions) by using the “Filter” option to select “Job Category.”
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: Aug. 3, 3–6 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for process technicians seeking jobs at biotechnology, pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing companies. More information here.
NC State Engineering Career Fair: Sept. 20–21 (in-person and virtual)
In this hybrid career fair, NC State engineering students can meet with employers seeking talent across a range of industries. This is a two-day event: The first day will be held in person, while the second will take place virtually via Career Fair Plus. More details here.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.)
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: